Zine Guide & Tail Spins Magazine have the following
unpaid internships available (a flexible 8-24 hours per
week) starting at any time, open to all majors for college
credit. Please keep in mind, we're a publishing company
that currently produces two magazines: Zine Guide serves as
the top resource guide to the underground press, & Tail
Spins Magazine tackles underground culture and music
(especially punk, indie, hardcore & garage). We also
provide the most casual work environment in Chicago:
- Website Development & Design:
- Create and develop webpages for Zine Guide & Tail
- interactive sites featuring e-commerce, direct
ordering, surveys/ questionnaires, chat rooms, etc.
- Retail Sales Coordinator:
- Follow-up phone calls to sample copy mailings of both
Zine Guide & Tail Spins magazine (with the goal of
adding new record/book stores to distribution
- Filling/shipping of subsequent orders
- Invoicing for past issues due (including follow-up
- Calling & qualifying new record & book store
- Maintaining up-to-date store info.
- Advertising sales:
- Prospecting new ad leads, maintaining and developing
database, putting together mailings, follow-up emails and
phone calls to solicit advertising.
- Public Relations / Marketing:
- Event planning for both Zine Guide & Tail Spins
- Media relations (print & radio).
- Merchandise development.
- Promotional strategizing.
- Developing, circulating & processing indepedent
print industry-related surveys & questionnaires.
- Editorial Assistant:
- Writing of articles/features on various topics
concerning the underground press and zines for Zine
Guide, and alternative culture & music for Tail Spins
- Writing/creating of zine listings and reviews for
- Indexing of Zine Guide listings into categories
(Bands, Persons, Subjects/Places, Record Labels)
- Zine Guide survey coordination: includes processing
(tallying) surveys, and editing/entry of zine
commentaries and reviews.
- Writing reviews & feature articles, conducting
interviews for Tail Spins Magazine.
- Magazine Production:
- Graphic design/layout of both Zine Guide and Tail
Spins Magazine (in MacIntosh Quark XPress). Acquisition
of visuals (photos, artwork, drawings, comix, etc).
- Office management:
- Organizing, maintaining and developing
- Web searches (prospecting) for new leads (record
labels, record/book stores, independent publications/
zines, libraries, etc.)
- Processing incoming correspondence (mail, email, FAX,
phone calls), responding to inquiries, filling
- National (out-of-town) staff coordination &
- Shipping Manager:
- Bulk mail coordination: responsible for organizing
mass magazine mailings (both Zine Guide and Tail Spins
- Organizing and preparing postcard mailings to new
leads (record labels, record/book stores, independent
publications/zines, libraries, etc.).